You might recognize Jacksonville for its cute shops and endless things to do, but there are so many interesting details about this famous Florida city outside its vibrant social scene. Think that you know the Jacksonville area? Then see if you knew of these amazing facts!
- Did you know Jacksonville played an important role in the film industry? Back in the early 20th century, directors and producers flocked to Jacksonville for its temperate year-round climate, which kept the area looking green and lush. Even today, Jacksonville is the choice of many filming locations, such as for ‘G.I. Jane’ and ‘Devil’s Advocate’.
- Jacksonville calls itself ‘the home of the blues’. This first instance is in an Indianapolis Freeman Stage article writtenin 1910, and was used to describe Professor John W.F. Woods ventriloquist act. The way that the doll acted and moved was described in the paper as ‘blues’.
- Back in 1990, Sam Veal and a few of his friends gathered together to host the first ever Springing the Blues music festival. Twenty-eight years later, this became one of the oldest blues music festivals in the country, bringing in acts such as The Corbitt Brothers Band and David Julia to the stages. Come the first week of April, get ready to get your blues on!
- The Dames Point Bridge is the largest concrete cable-supported bridge in the United States. It’s 1,300 feet across and 175 feet high, and takes people across the St. Johns River. It’s also a great part of a background for a photo op!
- Meandering right by Jacksonville is the St.
Johns River, the longest river in the state. Its role in Florida’s history is
important, ranging from helping forward trade and economy by taking boats up
and down its banks, to being the place where many towns desire to settle on its
shore. Fun fact: this is one of the few rivers that runs south to north! Alongside
the banks of the St. Johns River is RiverTown, the area’s most welcoming
Created for families of all sizes and kinds, this warm and accommodating town features exciting activities and impressive amenities for everyone, along with houses designed to fit your lifestyle. After a long day of paddling down the River, exploring the nature trails and relaxing at the RiverClub amenity center, come home to a residence that reflects your dreams.
RiverTown is home to 10 distinct neighborhoods spanning across 5,000+ acres. RiverTown offers a wide variety with new home designs by Mattamy Homes, including 50 unique floorplans, priced from the low $200s. The community is centrally located with close proximity to Jacksonville and the historic city of St. Augustine on Florida’s First Coast. St. Johns County boasts the top-rated schools in the State of Florida, incredibly beautiful beaches and great shopping, dining and entertainment.
Residents at RiverTown enjoy an impressive array of resort-style amenities. The spectacular RiverClub is located directly on the St. Johns River. An infinity edge pool overlooking the river and a poolside café, family game room, fire pit gathering areas, a pirate themed playground, Amphitheater, and waterfront boardwalk with kayak launch are all included in the expansive campus. Two additional pools (one with a corkscrew slide), tennis, basketball, soccer and a tot lot are located at the RiverHouse amenity center, which is also home to the community clubhouse, activities director and fitness center.
The Welcome Center is open daily at 90 Lanier Street, St. Johns. For more information about RiverTown, sign up for Fresh. Water Living. Magazine or call (904) 337-4856.
Get Your Current
Fresh. Water Living.